Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We are Yellow Canaries with Gray on our Wings

When I first heard this analogy I didn't think much of it, but now I can relate. President Thomas S. Monson gave a wonderful talk about how a woman who passed away gave three canaries away in her will. Two of them were bright and yellow, and the other was a little ruffled and had gray on its wings; but it's song was the prettiest. President Monson then goes on to compare that woman and ourselves with the yellow canary with gray on it's wings. He says:

"The world is filled with yellow canaries with gray on their wings. The pity is that so precious few of them have learned to sing. Perhaps the clear notes of proper example have not sounded in their ears or found lodgment in their hearts. Some are young people who don’t know who they are, what they can be or even want to be. They are afraid, but they don’t know of what. They are angry, but they don’t know at whom. They are rejected, and they don’t know why. All they want is to be somebody. Others are stooped with age, burdened with care, or filled with doubt—living lives far below the level of their capacities."


I especially like the part about living far below the level of their capacities, reminding me of Elder Uchtdorf's talk, "Your Potential, Your Privilege". I think that is something that I need to learn, since it keeps popping up in my studies. I have a thick head remember?

President Monson also briefly says, "All of us are prone to excuse our own mediocre performance". He says that we like to rationalize our poor performance and silently say to ourselves that we are not strong enough. I know I definitely have said this to myself... many times.

He then tells us that the point of life on earth is not to get ahead of others, but to get ahead of ourselves. He then proclaims that we can "develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility" by telling ourselves that we are sons and daughters of a God. We were created in the image of God. We have the capacity and capability to be just like Him when we grow up. I plan to personally hold onto this truth and use it to strengthen myself.

When I start to get down on myself, I just need to think that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know everything. Jesus is the perfect parent, teacher, scholar, and even the perfect programmer. He suffered for us. He atoned for our sins. He felt every pain, sorrow, and any feeling we have ever felt, or will feel. He knows you. He can help you become perfect and the wonderful, vibrant yellow canary you can become. He will do this for me, and He can do it for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment