Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pure Love

Today I witnessed one of the sweetest moments I have seen in my life. I was at the Microsoft cafeteria, eating my Mongolian stir fry. I heard a man a few feet away from me ask, "Are you ok?" I looked up and saw a man, probably in his 40s, and a little boy with blonde hair, probably around 3 years old. The little boy was just in the middle of getting up from the ground. I assume that he had fallen after reaching the top of the staircase they had just climbed. The father, who seemed to be balancing their lunch on his tray took a second to restack the boxes and soda cans that tumbled on their lunch tray. I assume that the food on the tray toppled when the man tried to stop the boy from falling. While the man was doing this, the boy stuck his elbow up towards the man with an innocent pout on his face. I assume that he fell on his elbow. Once the man rebalanced the food on the plate, he looked down and slowly, being careful not to let the food on the tray topple again, bent down and kissed the boy's elbow. The boy immediately burst into a smile and started skipping towards their table.

For some reason this event touched me so deeply. A simple act of pure love. It didn't matter to the man that he may be a bit out of breath from walking up the stairs. It didn't matter that as he bent down he could have dropped their food again. It didn't matter that maybe he was hungry and just wanted to sit down and eat after searching for an empty table. All that mattered was that his little boy wanted him to kiss his elbow better. All he wanted to do was to make that little boy happy. 

The thing that touched me the most about this event was that the boy immediately knew that the man would kiss his elbow. This didn't look like the first time this happened; like the man made a habit of caring for and loving the boy and the boy could rely on and trust that he could always come to him for help, comfort, and love.

I am not exactly sure why this happened directly in front of me, but I am happy that I was blessed with this personal experience. I hope that I will be able to look back on this moment and make meaningful connections as I go on through my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment